Monday, January 4, 2010

Fun Times

Soooo I lost my job a week ago. I was laid off. The good thing is, Joe and I looked at our budget about two weeks ago for this very reason since I was afraid this was going to happen. We set out a couple goals for the month because of this.

A.) We're not eating out this month
B.) We are going to be very careful where every cent goes.
C.) I've been learning how to live more frugally

Part C brings up an interesting point, that I think I have mentioned before; if it ain't broke don't fix it. I swear I could have lived during the Great Depression and could have survived. Every single piece of furniture in our house is used including all the tv's. Even our Wii is used! Our water heater is broken but still works. It requires us to turn it on manually each time we need it, but until it quits completely we will still use it.

Since I'm now laid off I am making an awesome effort to really make a lot of homemade prepared foods. Right now there is two stockpots on the stove full of beef bones and water. Tomorrow I'm getting a pressure canner and I'm going to can the stock. I can make almost 2 gallons of stock a lot cheaper than buying it.

I also found a recipe for homemade laundry detergent, so once the stuff we have runs out, we are just going to make it. I'm going to get the garden going as well this year since I will have the canner and I can can for the next winter.

Hopefully we are still able to meet our goals this year of having the student loan paid off by April. I think we can still do it as long as we pinch pennies like never before. Part of it is me, I'm the spender in the household and so I am going to have to pause before EVERY purchase and ask what the opportunity cost of that item it.The canner will be money, along with the cans for the job, but the long term savings of it will be more than worth it. I hope to never buy stock again. In my food blog I am going to break down the costs and see if it was worth it. The only downfall to it is the amount of energy that is going to be used I am not sure how to calculate. HMMMM.

Anywho, that is the update at the moment. I will start actively looking for a job again next week probably, I wanted a minute to clear my head and figure out what I am going to do. Which I'm still not 100% sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment